I don't have a pic to show what it looked like before I removed the hardware and sanded. I LOVED the design on the doors and thought they would be perfect for a little distressing job!
I used my spray gun to prime this piece with my zero VOC Kilz Clean Start primer. Can you see it under all my mess?
Worked like a charm. (Most) Clumps all gone! :) The drainer fit over my spray cup perfectly!
As I was in the kitchen cleaning out my spray gun, I started to get a little uneasy about my lovely, freshly painted, WET piece sitting out there, all by itself in the driveway. I hoped it was o.k. out there.
Why oh why does there always seem to be a "story" with each piece I do???
As I peeked outside to check on the sideboard, I had to GASP. The green tarp lying underneath it had been blown by the wind back up onto the lower part!
"Maybe the paint dried super duper fast, and it will be all right," I thought as I made my speedy resuce run over to the sideboard. No such luck! This is what I what I found after peeling, sniff, sniff, the green tarp off~
And this is just one of the spots that got attacked! There was nothing to do but let this mess dry. Sigh.
Several days after the tarp incident, I sanded down the disfigured :) areas with a fine sandpaper - 220 grit, and sprayed the front again. It looked o.k., but the paint just didn't sit quite right on the messed up areas. I just hoped that after I distressed and antiqued, the marred areas would be unnoticable.
I distressed the edges and the lovely doors with an 80 grit sandpaper.
See the difference between the distressed and non-distessed door?
Then it was time to glaze. I used my Ralph Lauren Tea-Stained~
Rather than doing the brush on, wipe off way, I did my best to follow Mandie's brush technique from her e-book over at Altar'd. Can I just say here that Mandie is a lovely, lovely girl and was so sweet to try to help me figure out a problem I had on another project! :)
By the way, the glazing covered up the "tarp incident" marks beautifully! Yea!
Next up: Minwax Paste Finishing Wax.
I used the wax to seal the lower painted areas of the sideboard.
The top of this piece was a beautiful oak, so I had already sanded it in preparation for staining. When staining I try to remember to wear my fancy new mask I got for my bday~
Before staining, I wiped on this with a cloth~
Just let it soak in for 5-15 minutes, then wipe off any excess.
Next I pulled out my Minwax Dark Walnut stain...
I used a cloth to wipe on the stain.
I let it dry for about 5 minutes, then wiped off the excess with another clean cloth. Since I wanted it darker, I applied another coat after the recommended 4-6 hours.
When the top was completely dry, I sealed it with Wipe-On Minwax Poly.
The hardware was goldish yuck, so it had to go!
It was primed and then sprayed with Rustoleum Hammered Brown~
Ah, yes, much better!
After putting the hardware back on, it was all ready!
Remember the before~
Here's the after~
Thanks for stopping by! :)