The dresser was in great shape except for a few things. On the bottom of the apron, some veneer peices were missing.
Not a problem, if you've got this stuff on hand~
I molded some of the KwikWood onto the damaged areas~
This is what it looked like after I sanded it down.
Last week we had some great weather, so I was able to spray the primer and paint onto the base of the dresser with my spray gun!!! I had to prime a different piece today using a roller and brush because it's cold here again, and it KILLED me! :)
Before spraying, I covered the top with extra special protectant paper~ha, ha, and sealed it off with Frog tape. I was planning on staining it later.
"Carribean Mist" is the paint color I used.
Next I distressed the edges. I've been using my hand sander a bit lately to distress the edges, and it works pretty well.
You just have to be careful not to get too crazy with the sander or you might end up with some bites in the wood in places where you didn't want it. (Oh, yes, personal experience!)
After distressing, I wiped Minwax Dark Walnut stain over just the edges and then wiped it right off.
After the stain dried I used really fine sandpaper (320 grit) to sand off the stain that had gotton too far away from the edges. This cleans it right up!
I used Ralph Lauren Tea-Stained glaze to make the fresh blue paint job look a little more time worn.
I let it sit for a few days and then I sealed it with Minwax Paste Finishing Wax.
I lined the drawers with this pretty fabric. First I measured the drawers and then cut out pieces of fabric an inch or so larger all the way around. I'm always glad I allow for this extra bit because I am usually off a bit!
To keep the edges of the fabric from fraying, I turned it over onto the back and brushed Mod Podge on just the outer edges of the fabric
Any last little bits or strings of fabric that need cutting are so much easier to clip on the dried edges.
This time rather than brushing MP over the entire inside of the drawer, I just brushed it all along the outer edge of the drawer before placing the fabric down. It seems to have worked just fine! (Yea for shortcuts!)
The top of the dresser had a lovely top, so I didn't want to paint over it. I used Citristrip followed by mineral spirits to get all the varnish off.
Once dry, I sanded the top by hand using very fine sandpaper~ 220 and then 320.
I applied Minwax Pre-Stain Conditioner before staining.
Then I applied two coats of the Dark Walnut stain.
To finish the top, I used tung oil.
I did two applications of the oil. Dry time between coats is at least 12 hours, so patience is a must here! :)
All righty then, here is the before~
All pretty in blue~
Thanks for visiting!