Friday, August 26, 2011

The Hideous Piece of Furniture in the Driveway

I thought this little guy was a real cutie when I saw him at the thrift store.  However, after I'd put on the base coat and had set it out to dry, my husband came home from work and said, "Where did you get that hideous piece of furniture that's in the driveway?"
GAME ON!  I had to make this thing extra cute!

A while back I scored BIG TIME and won Kathie's awesome chalkpaint giveaway at A Few Good Pieces!  I'm not done with the first piece I used the CP on, but I also decided to use it for this!

I used Provence and then trimed it in Old White. 

Then I taped off stripes on the front and painted them in Old White.

After that, I gave it a nice bit of distressing with my sander and sanding sponges (fine and medium).
*I have since done a piece with regular latex paint, trying to achieve a super distressed finish, and it has been 100 times harder to get the same look that happens so easily with CP.

Since it was looking so beachy, I thought I'd give it a whitewash.  I mixed some of the Old White with water and brushed it over everything.  When that dried I used my sanding sponges and lightly sanded again. 

I waxed with the light wax, followed by the dark.  I love how using the dark wax antiques it and seals in the same step!

OOPS TIP:  I messed up the sides by putting on too much dark wax.  I know that you can use the clear wax to wipe it away, but the wax had gotten lumpy and icky.  I used mineral spirits, and it easily wiped away all the wax so I could redo the sides.

Here he is, all ready for a makeover.  All right...he is a little ugly~

All done over, beachy-retro style!









Have a fun weekend!

37 comments:

SkinnyMeg said...

darling! I just happen to have those exact 2 colors in my garage, love love love the stipes!!

Sarah said...

Oooh, it's lovely!!

I've blogged about a piece in this colour combo if you have time to pop over....

S x

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Oh how cute! I love the color combination and the stripes. Don't you love a good challenge?

Twice Nice said...

Ah Man, I wish I had a beach house, or at least a pool in the backyard, I'd buy that in a heartbeat! Nothing hideous about that little guy.
Deb

Katie said...

This turned out so cute Kim!! I love how natural the distressing looks!!

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

Your husband's comment brought out the best in you! Great job.

the modern cottage said...

Fantastic!

Grateful Gramma said...

HUGE improvement! It's really cute now.

kathie said...

LOVE!!! Love the colors together & the distressing is perfection :) Makes me so happy!

Cassie Bustamante said...

i saw the before and thought, that can't be the hideous piece in the title....i think the before was pretty cool. and the after is awesome! i love the stripes!

Decor & Harmony said...

Sweet! It went from hideous to "WOW" I love it. I see a feature or two in your future :)

Anonymous said...

The stripes make it so cool - very beachy!!

The Painted Parlor said...

I never woulda guessed that was the same piece!! It turned out adorable!! Love the stripes and the distressing, perfection :)

Reenie said...

Very cute.

molly susan strong said...

I literally clapped when I saw this piece. I just love it. Your technique is just perfection. Thanks so much for making my little Market Mon. so awesome. Plse come again!!!

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Ooooo, so, so, pretty. Awesome transformation.

vintageshabbychicks said...

WoW..what a difference some chalk paint can make! I just love the beachy feel..great job! Julie

Megan said...

It turned out beautiful! What did your husband have to say about it after? LOL. My husband has stopped commenting, he thinks everything I bring home is ugly. :)

said...

I think this is a spectacular makeover! I just love it! And thanks for the tip about the mineral spirits to remove the excess dark wax--I have added too much dark wax and then tried to remove with the clear and then ended up with a big old mess! :)

Sarah said...

Sooo cute! You did such a great job! The stripes add so much! Great Job! :)

Unknown said...

SWEEEET! Wow, I would have walked right by this "before" piece! Your transformation is AMAZING! I love the Old White / Provence combo, how clever! I also love the new name for your blog. You rock!

Anonymous said...

Precious! I love it! Who would have thought it could look this way?! Great job!

Chrissie said...

So sweet. I love the stripes. So awesome that you won the chalk paint!

Restyled Vintage said...

OMG Kim that is absolutely stunning! I like to think that I have a pretty good eye for transforming pieces that others can't necessarily see the potential in, but I have to say, that was one UGLY cupboard to start with, and you made it awesome! Hope your hubby ate his words, lol!

xx Karen

Kara @ June & Bear said...

Love the stripes and the whitewash finish. Game over and you won.

Amy Chalmers said...

This came out very cute. I liked hearing the tip about the mineral spirits too.

Kim @ Too Much Time said...

This is so freakin cute! I LOVE it and wish I had a beach house so I could copy you!

Kristen said...

I love the blue and white! You took something that was really ugly and turned it to really fab!

Kristina
@PearlGateway
www.pearlgateway.com

Sommer said...

I am so inlove with two toned furniture. This is darling! I would love for you to share your talents at my VIP party today. http://designergarden.blogspot.com/2011/09/vip-party-26.html
Have a wonderful holiday weekend!

hilary@oldhousetruelove said...

kim!!! i am in LOVE with this! awesome job! : )

Unknown said...

love the little chest and id love to feature it if thats ok with you. let me know!

Joselyn said...

Definitely a night and day makeover. In other words, WOW!

Chi-Chi Studio Designs said...

Wow! You did an amazing job! That color combo is one of my favorites. :)

Suzanne said...

So, so cute! I want to buy a beach house just so I can put that whimsical piece of furniture in it!! :)

Zane Wooder said...

I'm sure your husband isn't calling it hideous now.

zane

Unknown said...

Super cute, excellent work!!
Driveway paving Essex

Funky-Junk said...

lovely job!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...