I had been trying to figure out how to get a really sweet chippy look, and wasn't having much luck until Sausha, over at Show and Tell wrote a post about distressing with vaseline.
Let me tell you, it works awesome!!! I won't go into detail about how I did it because it's all there in Sausha's post, but after working for hours trying to make things look chipped up, it was amazing to just wipe away the vaseline and wahlah~ chippy deliciousness!!!
I also used a razor blade and sanding blocks, but the vaseline was the bomb!
*I use a spray gun for my projects...not sure how the vaseline would hold up if the paint was brushed over it.
The paint color I used was just a mixture of some paint I already had on hand along with some oops paint. Both were Valspar paint + primer.
After a little more distressing, I wiped dark walnut stain over the paint.
I sealed it with 2 coats of wipe-on poly in satin.
I stripped the top of the vanity and stained it in mahogany to match the original stain color that was peeking out from underneath the new paint on the base of the vanity and mirror.
I topcoated it with a few coats of tung oil~
~and finished it off with Minwax Paste Finishing Wax in Special Dark.
I had to order this online from Rockler, and got free shipping thanks to a tip from Korrie! :)
Gotta have the before~
Here it is now~
Thanks for popping in! :)